Saturday 26 January 2019

Clematis progress

Following on from my post on 18th January, I enlarged and printed out my clematis pencil sketches on the computer, cut them up and re-arranged them to fit my final format.  I then used a light box to  to trace my design onto the painted background, using watercolour pencil.



My initial idea was to paint the flowers a deep red and the leaves a blue/green, in keeping with the background colours.  I was using fluid acrylics with glazing medium, gradually darkening the layers as I wasn't sure how it was going to work out.



This definitely wasn't going to plan, so I decided to paint the flowers with white acrylic.  The leaves were also rather dark against the background, these were adjusted with layers of paler greens and yellows. Watercolour pencil was used to add detail to the flower petals.


Clematis - 4.5" x 13"
Acrylic and mixed media

4 comments:

  1. Oh very nice! I really like how that turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charne - the trouble with liking the loose background so much is that I then tighten up when I add the subject. Perseverance is the name of the game!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous Sonia. Love that format too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. It's difficult to get the true colours of these backgrounds, but I think I need to ensure I keep them a bit lighter in tone so it's not quite such a struggle to make the subject stand out.

      Delete