Friday 14 May 2021

Eco dyeing experiment

 Over the winter months I have been looking into the possibilities of eco dyeing, both paper and fabric.  I have searched the internet for information, got hold of an old saucepan and with spring's new plant growth decided it was time to jump in and have a go.  Sue Brown's recent Instagram post was also instrumental in pushing me into action (#sundaypromptswithSue).

My bundle included two strips of cartridge paper, a couple of watercolour paper offcuts and a bit of lightly tea-stained calico.  On these I arranged bluebells, muscari (grape hyacinth)*, rose leaves, dandelions and ivy leaves.  A couple of tablespoons of distilled vinegar was added to the small saucepan of water, weighted down with a couple of big stones and set to boil gently for an hour.  I had forgotten to add either onion skins or any rusted elements to my bundle, so I just put these in the water as it came to the boil.

* On one site I visited the muscari was shown as producing a beautiful blue dye - I have a plentiful supply of this flower in my garden, but unfortunately they were really past their best.  The bluebells did give a slight hint of blue, but perhaps I need to limit the different colours of plants I use in one batch to get a stronger result.


A hint of blue muscari and pink from the young rose leaves



Dandelion flowers



Bluebells and muscari



The piece of fabric (at the top of this image)
came out much darker than the papers




No comments:

Post a Comment