Thursday 26 March 2020

Diary or daily journalling

I am following Karen Abend's "Sketchbook Revival" videos - over 12 days about 25 artists share some of the ways they use their sketchbooks. I was interested in Carla Sonheim's layout for daily journaling, particularly as I had been thinking of sharing images of the diary layout I have been using since 2012.

Apart from when on holiday, I hadn't given much thought to keeping a diary, but realising I was beginning to have trouble remembering events that happened a few months previously (or even weeks previously) I considered the idea of starting a journal.  I only wanted to make very brief notes about each day, so I opted for a monthly page utilising one of my painted backgrounds to make it a bit more interesting.

I wanted to have each month in A4 format to fit in a plastic folder, but decided that was a bit small to fit in 31 days, so I now decorate an A3 sheet of 100 gsm computer paper and use it horizontally, allowing for a fold out flap to increase the available space.  Once a year is completed I make a sturdy painted card folder for the 12 pages.

A rough guide to layout.  (Several of the spare strips of decorated paper were
used for the basis of this glued spine book)
I am not concerned with precision and my writing
has to be very small, sometimes over-running its
allotted box


The fold-over flaps give room for added decoration

A few of the yearly card folders

2 comments:

  1. I like what you've done. I use a five year journal so I can see where I've been as I travel through the next year but yours would be much more fun to write in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen. The small space suits me - I often head for bed and remember I haven't done my entry for the day. Just enough time for three or four brief comments.

    ReplyDelete