Friday 3 July 2020

Explorations on black paper

I have set myself the task of doing a series of studies in the Hahnemuhle Black Book, trying to find the best mediums to use.  I particularly like to lino print on black, using white or a light tinted gesso which can then be enhanced with watercolour, acrylic inks or coloured pencil and there are several examples of this in my Artists Books gallery.  However, I wanted to explore further.

These two were mainly coloured pencil with touches of
acrylic line painters for the stamens


I liked using coloured pencils on the black, but it was quite difficult to get even the pale colours to stand out, despite using several layers.

This is a gesso lino print with coloured pencil
Here, the coloured pencil on the black areas seems to stand out more, and subtle variations of tints can be achieved by lightly applying the pencils over the gesso areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment