Thursday 22 July 2021

Marlborough Open Studios

Despite the forecast high temperatures last Sunday, a friend and I decided to make an early start to visit some of the open art studios around Marlborough.  Quite a few of those participating were in small villages or well hidden farms in the surrounding downs, but we managed to fit in a couple of venues where 3 or 4 artists were exhibiting together as well as some individual studios.

Of particular interest was the garden print studio of one of our art society colleagues, and another artist using fabric, stitch and mixed media.  I am not one to make impulse buys, but I did treat myself to a framed work from the latter.  The beauty of this piece is in the subtle colours and textural detail which is difficult to see in my photograph.

"Fields of Gold" 10" x 10"
by Ann Louise Smith


I was tempted to try out some of Ann's techniques on some scraps of calico (and used/washed antiseptic wipes).

Calico, fluid acrylic, metallic ink, collaged painted tissue
and wipes, hand embroidery, machine stitch and pen.
Painted wipe strips made up the plaited piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment