Tuesday 16 July 2019

Paper Fabric

At the beginning of this year I finally got round to experimenting with some paper fabric.  You can find some useful instructional videos on Youtube by searching for "paper fabric".

My base material was calico (unbleached cotton), over which I collaged various oddments of my hand-printed tissue paper.  I used Golden soft gel medium, making sure the fabric was liberally coated, then applying and overlapping sections of the tissue, brushing over all again with the gel to ensure good adhesion.  I had chosen tissue in the pink/blue/purple range, but unified the surface further with fluid acrylic glazes of magenta and blue.



I had no particular plans for this piece, but have recently acquired an iPad Mini and the fancy magnetic cover/stand that I purchased for it only protects the screen, so the idea of a custom-made case came to mind.

My paper fabric was not quite large enough, but fortunately I had left a fair margin of the base material to enable me to add more strips of tissue. Further glazes, printing and random machine stitching were applied and a lining made from some discarded navy t-shirt material.  The material was easy to work with and machine stitching no problem - perfect.....  except my measurements were not and the case was just a mere fraction too small!!  Not to be beaten at this late stage, I prepared another strip of fabric paper and added this on, so it has ended up a bit of a "mish mash", however, it will serve its purpose until my next attempt.

The paper button is made from 3 layers of watercolour paper, covered with tissue
Final size 9" x 5.75"
I am not sure how long this will last,  Although the fabric paper folds very easily, I notice there are some signs of cracking  along one edge - next time it might be worth using some plain fabric bias binding to protect the edges.

2 comments: